The Hospital is situated in the very center of Belgrade, in Dobracina Street No. 27, near the Republic Square and the National Theatre. It covers an area of 800 m2 with a few consulting and waiting rooms, numerous diagnostic cabinets for basic and accompanying diagnostics, cardiology department, an operation block, a laser center, an in-patient department for comfortable accommodation after general anesthesia, optic shop with fashionable sun and corrective glasses, contact lenses, low vision center unique in this area with a large choice of devices for magnification, as help for patients with damaged macula and optic nerve.
Working hours: every day and Saturday from 8.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m.
Special Hospital SVETI VID was founded in 1997, starting a new epoch of the Serbian ophthalmology. The idea was to improve Serbian ophthalmology and to overcome the emptiness that for decades was dominant in the Serbian ophthalmology circles. By opening the possibilities for new and appropriate and useful solutions, and not “Surgery for the sake of surgery only”, Sveti Vid has become an institution and a synonym for the highest quality and up-to-date ophthalmology.
Thus, instead of looking for good treatments abroad, the modern high-rate ophthalmology has become the reality in the heart of Belgrade – from the very first moment of the hospital foundation.
Special Hospital SVETI VID has been introducing the most recent, high-quality technology and the leading surgical and diagnostic methods for the treatment of eye problems. Thus, the new, modern views and standards for treating the ophthalmic problems are imposed on Serbian ophthalmology, with much better effects on preserving vision. Therefore, the new guidelines for the development of Serbian ophthalmology have been set. Here, in a small piece of Europe, in the heart of Belgrade, there is now a hope for the long streams of young ophthalmologists to see the potentials of contemporary eye surgery today, which is not only a picture from a foreign textbook, but real surgery, in order to abandon the burden of the inherited, outdated views.
In several first class equipped consulting rooms, our pleasant staff will welcome you and recommend the best solution to your problem. A comprehensive ophthalmic examination involves an access to all the structures of the eye, both the anterior and the posterior segment, in order to view the problem entirely.
The special cabinets:
- Ultrasound diagnostic cabinet – for discovering changes of deeper eye structures, in the vitreous body, retina and orbit (bleedings, retinal detachment, tumor changes etc.), especially in the conditions of non-transparency of the anterior media, such as cataract, or bleeding in the anterior chamber, which prevents good viewing into the posterior structures.
- Pachymetry and the computerized corneal topography cabinet (wave front imaging) – This is a contemporary diagnostic approach for defining corneal problems: thickness of the cornea, an early discovery of keratoconus or other degenerative corneal disorders, and corneal and refractive anomalies, and changes caused by contact lenses wear, as well. Such an examination is a demand prior to the refractive procedure.
- Cabinet for early glaucoma detection – - the first asymptomatic changes in the nerve fiber layers – OCT.
- Computerized visual field cabinet, with special tests for examining the function of the optic nerve or the macula – the yellow spot.
- Fundus camera – for recording the fundus blood vessels with contrast applied intravenously. This is an inviolable procedure for defining fundal diabetic changes which are to be treated by laser photocoagulation, as well as macular changes (yellow spot), before photodynamic therapy is applied (PDT). The fundus camera also helps in recording changes on the papilla of the optic nerve in order to monitor and control the glaucoma changes objectively, and evaluate the effects of the applied therapy.
- Laser cabinet:– laser photocoagulation treatment of diabetic changes on the fundus, – Yag- laser capsulotomy (laser opening of the fibrous posterior lens capsule).
- Laser iridotomy in treating certain forms of glaucoma
- Laser iridotomy for particular types of glaucoma. Pediatric ophthalmology: Scleroplasty, strabismus surgery, refractive laser and lens implant surgeries in certain indications in children, lacrimal duct problems, ptosis, etc…
Modern optics gives the exceptional precision of processing the finest corrective glasses. Modern lines, attractive dioptric and sun glasses: Vogue, Valentino, Escada, Dior, Roberto Cavalli, Vivien Westwood, Simpsons, Seventeen… The contact lens cabinet offers good quality contact lenses, colored ones as well.
LOW VISION CENTRE
Equipped with the new generation of devices for low vision improvement, magnifying glasses, telescopic systems, both mobile and for home use, of different degrees of magnification, devoted to those to whom reading and space orientation is troublesome because their macula or optic nerve is damaged. Presentation and demonstration, as well as teaching people to use the rest of their vision, are organized in the place of Optic. There is a place and time for choosing the most appropriate option individually. This is great help especially for schoolchildren with impaired vision.CENTRE FOR THE EMPLOYMENT OF PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPY – FDT
PDT EYE SURGERY – DEPARTMENT FOR CARDIOLOGY
SVETI VID is changing and updating the old and surpassed views deeply rooted in Serbian ophthalmology. It has introduced contemporary surgical methods which have become official in world’s ophthalmology today, against the back warded ways closely round the Special Hospital SVETI VID. This has influenced the domestic ophthalmic field positively and it is of great importance for changing the old attitudes round the country. This contribution to Serbian ophthalmology is present in the field of the cataract (phacoemulsification, aqualase) and glaucoma treatment, refractive surgery (the Excimer laser, many sorts of implantable lenses including multifocal implants), vitreoretinal surgery.
Furthermore, Photodynamic therapy (PDT) with Visudyne for some forms of choroid neovascularisation has made a special impact on changing the view of macular disorders. Amazing reconstructive procedures for repairing inadequate treatment previously performed in anterior segment surgery, as well as secondary lens implantation, glaucoma surgery, strabismus surgery, etc, are only a slight survey of the large program of SVETI VID. The Sveti Vid is one of only a few centers in the world where superior surgery of the ‘artificial cornea’ implantation is performed on patients following a trauma, when transplantation is inadequate due to the danger of the corneal tissue rejection (among the first 250 operations in the world). The special hospital SVETI VID, from the very beginning of its work, has made efforts to educate the population, as well as doctors and patients, believing that by changing the attitudes, the development of terminal conditions could be prevented.
Consequently, the incidents of needlessly developed blindness in the Serbian population would be reduced.